Call me a dope, but I had zero clue about the dangers of the "hairy rope" you may see on trees during the Winter.

At the risk of sounding like a city boy who isn't very outdoorsy, I'm about to be totally honest with you: I have never seen this "hairy rope" looking thing on a tree, ever. Therefore, I would have no idea what it is or know that I shouldn't touch it.  I'm pretty sure if I saw this on a tree, I would want to touch it; heck I think I might even try to partially pull it off and swing on it Tarzan style.  This would be a really, really bad idea and here's the reason why.

It's poison ivy.  Plain and simple.  And if I'm an idiot for not knowing then so be it but I found this to be useful information.  While I'm not usually in the forest all that much, I do like to take hikes and I enjoy observing wildlife.

107.7 WGNA logo
Get our free mobile app

According to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation:

"In the winter, the poison ivy plant loses its characteristic leaves of three, but its vine, which resembles a "hairy rope," can still cause a rash if you touch it. Remember: "Leaves of three, don't touch me!" and "Don't be a dope, don't touch the hairy rope!"

I love the whole "Don't Be a Dope" message.  It's perfect because it resonates with people like me who are the actual dopes that want to touch it, feel it, play with it, swing on it and even make a fake moustache with it. Again, all really bad ideas.

Poison ivy can be a real mess if you're allergic to it and not everyone is.  But according to the NYS DEC, the "typical skin reaction of a rash appears up to 24 hours after exposure. In some people, the rash progresses to severe blistering and may require steroid treatment."

Now, even dopes like me are informed.

LET'S GO: The most popular historic sites in America

More From 107.7 WGNA