1 - Bub and I are doing all of the labor ourselves! Yikes!
2 - We are going to try to do this on a spaghetti thin budget! Double Yikes!
3 - We plan to use original materials as much as possible and to try and keep the integrity of the house and the original design. Triple Yikes!
Here's the plan -
!. Refinish original cabinets
-stripping and sanding cabinets and all the woodwork in kitchen
-pick new finishes from Curtis Lumber and apply
2. Paint Ceiling and walls - I have no idea what colors yet! Suggestions please!
3. Install island, countertops and sink - black stained island cabinets, soapstone countertops, stainless steel sink
4. Tile backsplash - subway tile, vintage if possible!
- Reno old ceiling fan
- build custom light for over sink
- designing and installing under-cabinet lighting
6. Refinish hardwood floor
-whole first floor of the house (ew!)
-sanding, staining, poly
7. Reno Pantry cabinet - this should be easy!
8. Pick and hang new window over the sink and new window coverings
9. Decorate and finish
Sounds easy enough, right??? Nah, I didn't think so!
We already made a trip up to Curtis Lumber in Ballston Spa where we talked with Heather, one of the amazing kitchen designers there. (I know, sounds swanky, right? But it's not! She gives free consultations!) I told her about the house, the plan, and the budget, and she didn't even run away after all that!
One night she even came over to my house to measure for my new counter top so that we are sure it will fit! Nice!
She also drew up designs for us! (Which also sounds really pricey, but I promise... still a courtesy from our friends at Curtis... and not just for me, for everyone!!)