Welcome to ‘Shorts-and-Hoodie’ Season Here in Upstate NY!
Last weekend it was 70 degrees in Upstate NY, today we got snow here in the Capital Region, and in Western New York, some forecasters are calling for up to 2 or 3 feet of snow! We always talk about the 12 seasons of Upstate New York and as unpredictable as the weather can be, one thing you can always rely on is the 'shorts with hoodie' guy!
There are always way more people than normal that are not ready to put their shorts away and the mish-mosh we'll see for the next few weeks - or months - is known as 'Shorts-and-a-Hoodie' Season as in, "It's not that cold - I'll just throw on shorts and a hoodie and I'll be okay!"
Every Upstate New Yorker knows at least one person who somehow wears shorts year-round!
The other night while stopped at a gas station in Albany, a man got out of his car and started pumping in the sub-zero temps next to me. He was a burly man in his mid 40's wearing a Buffalo Bills hoodie and Nike athletic shorts.
Who is Shorts and Hoodie Guy?
- This is the guy who bats 4th on your softball team - he may wear number 69.
- Orders a pitcher or two of beer before everyone arrives at the bar and orders 50 hot chicken wings just to get the party started.
- He also is the best darn little league coach you've ever had
- Throws the best tailgate party north of Alabama
- Has bowled a perfect game
- Loves his local high school football team
- Drinks .99 cent coffee - none of this Starbucks crap.
- Is deathly loyal to his employer
- He would rather starve than eat tofu.
- He's not into cancel culture and backs the blue,
- Despises veggies on his pizza,
- Shovels all the elderly neighbor's driveways without having to be asked.
In other words, he's pretty much the guy we all want to be and more. So next time you see shorts in the winter guy, don't look at him funny or ask him if he's freezing. Instead, applaud him for doing things his way, and maybe ask to buy him a cup of coffee.
Just not Starbucks.
Dream Cabin In Upstate New York
See Vintage Storytown USA Postcards Dating Back to 1961!
Inside a $5M Estate- New Home to Winningest Celeb in Upstate NY!