Albany - Albany police have released a photo of a man they consider a person of interest in the mercury exposure case at Albany Medical Center on March 2nd.  Police have stated the toxic metal may have been intentionally placed in the hospital’s food.  Mercury can affect the central nervous system.

Mercury is typically used a gauge in thermometers, but is also found in electrical units, such as switches and valves.  It is an odorless metal that is heavy and silver in color.  The mercury was first discovered by a hospital employee after she spotted a tiny metal ball on her food tray.  A hazmat team was then called in and combed the entire hospital cafeteria.  More minuscule balls of mercury were found in food containers and other areas. 


Albany Medical Center


According to a study by the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry, mercury poisoning can cause vomiting, brain, lung and kidney damage, memory loss, skin and eye irritation, and high blood pressure.

Anyone who thinks they might know the identity of this man should call 518-462-8039.  The investigation is being done by the Albany Police with the help from State Police and the FBI.

More From 107.7 WGNA