Do These 5 Things to Make Your Food Last Longer
Everyone is trying to save money these days! One of the biggest expenses in my family's budget is food! I hate buying food only to see it go to waste! Especially produce! Gosh it makes me mad when tomatoes or zucchini goes bad before I get a chance to use them!
I've seen a lot of tips online for preserving food, but these 5 are certainly unique!
1. Use cooking spray on leftover guacamole. Apparently it keeps it from turning brown better than lemon juice. You can also do it with avocados! No more brown avocado halves!
2. Don't store potatoes and onions together. Onions release a gas that can make potatoes sprout faster. But storing potatoes with APPLES can actually PREVENT them from sprouting. Huh!
3. Wrap the stems of your bananas with plastic wrap. Do it while they're still together in a bunch. They should stay ripe three to five days longer, especially if they're organic. But, that means no more banana bread.
4. Put a paper towel in with extra salad. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. The towel sucks up some of the moisture, so the lettuce stays crisp. This works with herbs, too.
5. Clean your refrigerator. Once something goes bad in there, it can leave mold behind. And that can make OTHER things go bad. But man do I hate cleaning the fridge!
So there ya go! Hopefully these tips will save you a little bit of dough! Happy eating!