Top 5 College Dorm Room Essentials
As I prepare to send my Son off to college, I realize I have no idea what he really needs to begin this 4 year experience on his own. So, as I was doing my research, (with a lot of help from the “Coupon Lady”) I thought I would share with you what we found to help other first time parents get their kids ready to be on their own.
- First and foremost bedding. Comforter, sheets and pillow cases. We found the best deal, maybe not the best patterns, is at Big Lots. $40 gets you a comforter, sheets, Sham, 2 bath towels, 2 washcloths, hamper, and desk lamp! Score! An extra pillow or 2 is also not a bad idea.
- Shower essentials. With showers down the hall, a robe will make it easier to get there and back without making anyone else uncomfortable! Apparently, walking around in a towel in dorms is frowned upon! And don’t forget the flip flops. Shower caddy’s to carry shampoo/soap are also a must have and can be found at most stores for $3!
- Alarm clock. Most already have one, but without parents to make sure their up, a new one might be in order!
- Storage – There is not much room in these tiny dorms. Target has an ottoman to serve as extra seating and storage for $17! That’s a good deal! Bed Stackers are also nice to raise the bed enough to allow extra storage underneath. Maybe put some extra bath towels in a storage bin or even your laundry basket! Bed stackers are about $15 at sears and are available in most college stores.
- Mini Fridge. Although there are plenty of dining halls, it’s always nice to be able to have a cold drink or snack right there in your room. You can get these for $89 at Walmart!
There you have it, the top 5 dorm room essentials according to my research. Does anyone else have any dorm room tips for me? Share them below please!