Tips To Prevent Frozen Pipes
We are experiencing some frigid temperatures and as much as it affects us, it also can affect our homes. Here are a few tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing. According to a list from the American Red Cross, these are some helpful tips to protect your pipes from freezing.
- If your water lines are in the garage, keep the garage doors closed tight when possible.
- Keep the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to let warmer air in to circulate around the plumbing. (make sure you remove harmful cleaners and chemicals out of the reach of children)
- In the temperatures we have been experiencing, let the cold water drip from the faucet where the pipes are exposed. When you allow water to run through the pipes, even a small amount, this helps them from freezing.
- Set your thermostat to the same temperature both at night and during the day. This may cost you a bit more in your heating bill, but it may prevent more costly repairs if your pipes freeze and brust.
- During these cold temperatures, Iif you are going on vacation, leave the heat in your home set no lower than 55 degrees.
These are a few tips that could help your pipes from freezing and bursting, but more importantly save you a lot of money.