We're watching out for you here at the Sean and Richie Show.  It's sooooo cold!  How cold is it?  It's so cold that Petsmart has a deal - buy a hamster, get a Penguin free! But seriously, folks, if you're using a space heater, read belowI got this press release from the NY Propane Gas Association, and I thought it was very important to pass on to you.  I decided to cut and paste here and give you exactly what they tell you to do so I don't forget anything.   Some of this is obvious, some isn't.

In my basement I  happen to use one of those cheap oil filled ones that look like a radiator. They are supposedly safe and can't catch fire.  I'm wondering if that's true.  But this IS true below:

Top Safety Tips for Consumers

  1. Use the right kind of space heater. Some propane space heaters are designed only for use outdoors, while others are designed for indoor use. High levels of carbon monoxide can be generated from heaters that aren’t designed for indoor use.
  2. Avoid close contact. To help prevent fires and/or burns, place heaters at least three feet away from any objects such as bedding, furniture, or drapes, and avoid close contact by people or pets. Some heaters have very hot surfaces.
  3. Keep vent pipes clear. If your space heater is meant to be ventilated, check the vents to be sure flue gases can flow easily to the outdoors. Obstructions can cause build-up of carbon monoxide in your home.
  4. Install a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide can make you dizzy, give you headaches, cause flu-like symptoms, or even result in brain damage or death. Carbon monoxide detectors wet you know when there are excessive levels of this poison in the air.
  5. Get out and call 911. If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911. If it’s safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing carbon monoxide.