Reddit Unknown Facts About the Capital Region [LIST]
Vinnie posted yesterday about how the Capital Region Walmart is the biggest in the United States. Did you know that? A bunch of Redditors made a list of other things about the Capital Region you may not have known.
The Capital Region is a pretty interesting place to live with some interesting history and full of interesting information. We all have heard how the potato chip was invented in Saratoga and that Uncle Sam is from Troy, did you know these facts about where you live?
- Guptill's in Cohoes is the world's largest indoor roller skating rink and is certified by the Guinness Book of World Records.
- According to Redditor wingsauce711 "There’s an ancient fault line outside of Schenectady that was a major path for Native American tribes migrating through the area. In this particular crevice, the Mohawk tribe hid in the brush on top of the fault and ambushed their Algonkian enemies and slaughtered them as they were migrating through. We later built a road through this fault known as Wolf Hollow Road, where a serial rapist used to kidnap prostitutes from Schenectady and rape them at the bottom of the ravine late at night just outside the man-made cave. After hurricane Irene, the road was deemed too unsafe to drive on and it remains closed to this day."
- The Corning Tower (Albany) is the tallest building in New York that's not found in NYC
- The Ferris Wheel was invented by a student at RPI
- That noticeable blue water tower in Troy is the largest at that height by volume
- Saratoga, California was named after our Saratoga because of the springs found there
- Albany is the oldest continuous settlement of the original 13 colonies
- Troy used to have an MLB team called the Trojans and they're known for the first grand slam
- GE in Schenectady gets letters for Santa Claus every year because their zip code is 12345
- Allegedly, there's an Albany, California as well because one of the mayors changed its name being from Albany, NY
- Yankee Doodle was written in Rensselaer
- Abraham Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth were once in Albany at the same time and Booth almost died
- Rivers Casino opened on the 327th anniversary of the Stockade Massacre (which alone has some interesting facts to find)
- Mike Tyson's first televised fight was at the RPI field house
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas was first published in Troy
- There used to be an amusement park in Menands called Al-Tro Island Park
- Albany is the second oldest state capital (second to Santa Fe)