How To Protect Your Pets From The Heat
We are set to have record heat for the next ten days. As humans, we need to take necessary precautions to stay cool, but we can't forget about our furry friends. Here are some tips to help keep your pets safe in the heat. As a dog owner, I am always trying to keep my furry friend cool in the intense summer heat. According to News 10 and the ASPCA, there are a few very helpful tips to keep your pet safe from heat related illness.
Some of these tips are common sense when it come to your pet. Just make sure you are aware and pay attention to how your pet is acting.
- Know the symptoms of overheating. This includes excessive panting, difficulty breathing, increased heart and respiratory rate, drooling, weakness in legs and even collapsing.
- Always have fresh water available for your pet no matter where you go.
- Try and provide rest and shady places for your pet.
- Always watch your pets around pools and open water.
- NEVER leave your pet in a parked car even if you crack the windows.
- Limit your pet's time on hot black top or asphalt. Their paws can become seriously burned.