Greeting Cards Are Soooooo Over!
- Americans purchase approximately 6.5 billion greeting cards each year. Annual retail sales of greeting cards are estimated between $7 and $8 billion. WHAT!!!!
- The most popular Everyday card-sending occasion by far is Birthday, followed by Sympathy, Thank You, Wedding, Thinking of You, Get Well, New Baby and Congratulations.
- Women purchase an estimated 80% of all greeting cards. Women spend more time choosing a card than men, and are more likely to buy several cards at once.
- Greeting card prices can vary from 50 cents to $10 – with a price point for every consumer. The vast majority are between $2 and $4. Cards featuring special techniques, intricate designs and new technologies and innovations – such as the inclusion of sound chips and LED lights – as well as handmade cards, are at the top of the price scale. Come on. LED lights! Be real.
- Most people now acknowledge many more birthdays than ever before because of Facebook......but they aren’t necessarily sending fewer cards as a result!
Why!? Let us all just stop! Yes, send me a note, a letter, or a hand-made greeting, but don't spend $3-5 on a factory made, generic greeting! I'd rather you shoot me a text, go out for a drink, or send me a pic!
Don't spend your time trying to find the perfect card, just spend that time telling me how you feel!
Let's not waste paper, trees, time or money anymore! Let's be free!