Favorite Capital Region Businesses That Closed in 2018 [LIST]
It's never great to see one of your favorite local restaurants close and this year, there were quite a few. In case you missed it, here are the places you can't go to eat locally anymore.
Though I love to try new restaurants in the area, I do have my few favorites that I find myself eating at all of the time. The restaurant industry is fickle and one day a restaurant could be there and another it could be gone. Quite a few restaurants closed locally this year and in case you missed it, based on information through the Times Union and WGNA.com, here they are:
- The most memorable closing this year, I think, was Grandma's Pies in Colonie which closed its doors after 42 years. Thankfully, the restaurant did announce shortly after their closing that they were reopening under new ownership.
- Bruegger's Bagels announced that they would be closing 28 locations nationally and one of those was our Western Ave location in Albany (after already closing the North Pearl Street location in Albany, Broadway in Saratoga Springs, Madison Avenue in the Pine Hills neighborhood of Albany).
- Stewart's Shops also decided to downsize this year by closing their Morton Ave store in Albany and the Guy Park Ave store in Amsterdam.
- Fans of Lemoncello in Saratoga were disappointed to find out that they closed in April. So far, it looks like no other business has moved into the spot.
- Known for their delicious wings, The Bull and Barrel Smokehouse Grill was also a casualty earlier this year. It opened in 2014 and closed with no warning in June.
- One of the sadder restaurant closings this year was Mio Posto in Albany. After having to relocate from Saratoga to Albany because of a fire, the restaurant wasn't successful and had some internal issues to deal with.
- More recently, Pig and Whistle in Ballston Spa announced that they would be closing their doors but you can still get their food at their Saratoga Springs location.
- After 30 years, Schenectady Italian favorite Napoli Bakery announced that they would be closing so that the owners can focus on retirement.
- What was a shock to most, the Albany barge, Riverfront Bar & Grille closed and was put up for auction after 20 years.
- Both locations (Saratoga & Albany) of the Merry Monk closed within the last year, Albany being most recent.
You can find even more restaurants that closed this year through the Times Union.