5 Amazing Facts About Albany
The United States can thank Albany for Santa Claus and perforated toilet paper.
Albany.org has a great article detailing some amazing historical facts about New York's capital city. To me, there are that five that really stand out.
- Santa Claus got his start in Albany! The idea came here from the Netherlands, and manuscripts show he became an American tradition in Albany. Retailers all over the country can thank us.
- Perforated toilet paper, dominoes and checkers were all invented here.
- 4 New York governors went on to become President: Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Martin Van Buren.
- The very first passenger railroad ran here.
- Herman Melville, author of "Moby Dick," lived on Pearl Street for a period of time.
Pretty cool stuff—there is a lot of history all around us in Albany!